Case Management/ Electronic Case Filing System (CM/ECF)
Case Management/Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF) is the new automated case management and electronic docketing system for the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, CM/ECF provides a new, easy-to-use electronic case filing feature that will make life easier for you by allowing you to file and view court documents over the Internet. CM/ECF allows attorneys to file and view documents from their office, home or anywhere they have access to the Internet, 24 hours a day. Documents are automatically docketed as part of the filing process and are immediately available electronically. CM/ECF also provides the following benefits:
• 24-hour access to filed documents over the Internet
• Automatic email notice of case activity
• The ability to download and print documents directly from the court system
The electronic case files system accepts documents in a portable document format (PDF). PDF retains the way a document looks, so the pages, fonts and other formatting are preserved.
Filing a document with the court’s CM/ECF system is quite easy:
• Create the document using word processing software.
• Save the document in PDF format.
• Log onto the court’s CM/ECF system, using a court-issued login and password.
• Follow the set of simple prompts to provide information about the case, party and document to be filed.
• Attach the PDF document and submit it to the court for filing (by pressing a submit button).
• Save or print the CM/ECF electronic receipt emailed from the court confirming that the document was filed.