You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Select a frequently asked question category on the left or search for a FAQ using the "Search this Site" box above.


  • What is the format for entering a dollar demand?

    Demand ($000): Enter the dollar amount to the nearest thousand with no punctuation. That is, if the complaint asserts damages in the amount of $75,000, enter “75”; if the complaint asserts damages in the amount of $5,000,000 enter “5000”. The smallest amount which can be entered is “1” (for $1,000.00). Round up or down as needed to the nearest thousand (e.g., $750.00 = 1; $1,498.56 = 1; $25,501.99 = 26). If no specific dollar amount is demanded in the complaint, leave this field blank.

  • What is the telephone number for the Eastern District Bankruptcy Court?

    Please click here for their contact information.

  • What number number do I call if I have an emergency and cannot report for jury duty?

    After you have reported for jury service, you will be given detailed instructions as to what you should do in case of an emergency.

  • When I receive a NEF on a consolidated case, am I only getting one free look when I click on a document number. Should I be getting a free look on the cases that I am on?

    Since the case is consolidated, you will only get one free look when you click on the document number for the first case number listed, which is the lead case number. If you click on any of the other document numbers for the member cases, you maybe charged pacer fees.

    It is suggested that you always click on the document numbe for the lead case and save/print the pdf.


  • When I search by Judge name for an opinion, there are only a few or none listed. Is there a problem with the website?


    The Eastern District of New York offers a limited database of opinions for the years 1999 to 2013, listed by year and judge.
    If you cannot locate an opinion on our website, please login to our pacer site with your pacer login and password or access the GPO FDsys website.

  • When I’m filing a PDF document I get an error message saying the PDF document may be malformed or the PDF document is damaged. What should I do?
    Re-print the pdf:
    Open the pdf in Adobe > select File - Print >- choose the Adobe PDF printer >- save the pdf to a new name.
    If you still have difficulty creating the PDF document, you should contact your technical support for assistance.
  • Where can I find a list of events for ecf filing?

    For attorneys, the civil and criminal list are located at:

    For pro se filers, the civil list is located at:


    You can also use the Search feature on the cm/ecf menu bar to look for events.

  • Where can I find the civil summons form?

    The form is located on the United States Courts website.

  • Where can I find the form for Notice, Consent, and Reference of a Civil Action to a Magistrate Judge

    The instructions and form is located under forms and instructions - ecf instructions.

  • Where can I locate the transcript rates?

    The transcript rates are located on the transcript information page.

  • Where do I claim mileage and parking expenses on the CJA voucher?

    Both mileage and parking are to be claimed as travel expenses. 

  • Where do I obtain a copy of a Bankruptcy file for the Eastern District of New York?

    Contact the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York Web Address: Phone: (718) 330-2188 - Brooklyn - or (631) 712-6281 - Central Islip.

  • Which documents are needed to open a civil case in the federal court in the Eastern District?

    1. EDNY Civil Cover Sheet- available on the website 2. Two copies of the Complaint 3. If Needed: Notice Of Removal/Transfer Documents 4. If Needed: Summons, Order to Show Cause, Temporary Restraining Order 5. Fee of $400.00 (by Check, Money Order or Credit Card)


  • Who can serve my summons and complaint?

    Anyone over the age of 18 years who is not a party to the lawsuit can serve the summons and complaint.  Professional process servers, typically listed in the telephone book, may be hired to serve the summons and complaint.  Fees and costs vary with each server.  A cost-savings alternative is to have a trusted family member or friend who is over 18 years old serve your summons and complaint.  If you do not use a professional process server, you should carefully read Rule 4 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to determine the method by which service must be made. Rule 4 also permits service to be made under New York Law. If your application to waive the filing fee was granted and you have in forma pauperis status, you also have the option of having the United States Marshal Service serve your summons and complaint free of charge.  Please note that even if you have been granted in forma pauperis status, you need not use the Marshal Service for serving your summons and complaint.  If is frequently quicker to arrange for the service on your own.

  • Who can use the eJuror system?
    Any prospective juror who receives a questionnaire can complete their questionnaire on line, unless the recipients last name is less than 3 letters or the recipient is under the age of 18. If you are unable to complete on line due to these system limitations, please complete the paper form and submit it to the Court within 10 days of receipt of the questionnaire.