Frequently Asked Questions
Select a frequently asked question category on the left or search for a FAQ using the "Search this Site" box above.
I am having problems with ECF NEFs and my Yahoo account.
1. Login to Yahoo Mail.
2. Click on "Mail Options" on the right hand side of your screen.
3. Click on "Filters" at the lower left hand side of screen.
4. Click the “Add” Button.
5. Assign a Filter Name - (e.g., NYED ECF)
6. Underneath the heading "if all of the following rules are true..." go to the top row labeled "FROM header." Next to this you will see a drop down menu. Make sure to select "contains", then simply type “nyed.uscourts.gov” into the box provided.
7. At the bottom, where it says "Move the message to:", select "Inbox" from the drop-down menu.
8. Click the "Add Filter" button at the bottom to add this filter.
Do I need to sign my ecf documents and then scan them?
If your document was created using a word processor software, then it should be printed to pdf. There is no need to print, sign and scan to pdf. Your ecf login and password is your signature.
How do I e-file on a Criminal case?
A video tutorial on how to file on a criminal case is located on the Pacer site at :
How do I go about requesting attorney admission information?
Please contact the court at (718) 613-2285 or (631) 712-6030
How do I know which EDNY courthouse has my case file?
There are two Eastern District Courthouse locations: Brooklyn and Central Islip. Case files are available at the courthouse where the Judge assigned to the case is located. Call Intake Section for name of Judge OR check the Docket Sheet on Pacer (to register for an account, go to website at http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov or call the Pacer Service Center at (800)676-6856 or (210)301-6440.)
Even if the Judge listed in Central Islip, there is a chance that the file is in Brooklyn. It is best to call the CI courthouse before traveling.
Which documents are needed to open a civil case in the federal court in the Eastern District?
1. EDNY Civil Cover Sheet- available on the website 2. Two copies of the Complaint 3. If Needed: Notice Of Removal/Transfer Documents 4. If Needed: Summons, Order to Show Cause, Temporary Restraining Order 5. Fee of $400.00 (by Check, Money Order or Credit Card)
How do I obtain Immigration and Naturalization records and related information?
Contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website: http://uscis.gov Customer Service HelpLine/INS Forms: 1-800-375-5283
USCIS Offices in NY and LI:
NYC Office: USCIS - 26 Federal Plaza, New York, NY 10278
Garden City Naturalization Office: 711 Stewart Avenue, Garden City, Long Island 11530-(516)228-9242
After you''ve been naturalized, if you have a question or need a copy of naturalization documentation such as a verification letter or your petition, you should go to The Federal Records Center which is located at 201 Varick Street, 12th floor NY, NY 10014.
Where do I obtain a copy of a Bankruptcy file for the Eastern District of New York?
Contact the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York Web Address: www.nyeb.uscourts.gov Phone: (718) 330-2188 - Brooklyn - or (631) 712-6281 - Central Islip.
What are the operating hours for the court?
The court is open 8:30AM to 5:00PM on Monday - Friday, except for Federal Holidays
What do I need to appeal my case?
You need: Original Notice of Appeal 2 copies. The Fee is $455.00 (which includes docketing the appeal). You may pay by check,money order, or credit card, if the credit card is registered with the Clerk's Office Mail copy of Notice of Appeal to all parties.
Contact Appeals Section at (718) 260-2310 in Brooklyn and (631) 712-6000 in Central Islip, for more Appeals information