Frequently Asked Questions
Select a frequently asked question category on the left or search for a FAQ using the "Search this Site" box above.
What settings should I have set for Internet Explorer?
Open IE, (7 or 8), click on General Tab
Under Browsing History
check off (Delete browsing History on exit)
click on (Settings)
select (Everytime I visit the webpage)
click on (Delete)
Temporary Internet Files
Close all sessions of IE.
What privacy settings should I have set for Mozilla?
Open Mozilla 15.x), click on Tools - Options- Privacy
Select (Use custom setting for history)
Remember my browsing history
Remember download history
Remember search and form history
Select ( Accept cookies from sites)
Accept third-party cookies
select Keep until (I close firefox)
Select (Clear history when firefox closes)
Click on (Settings) button
Under History check off:
Form & Search History
Close all sessions of Mozilla
How do I Delete the Contents of the Temporary Internet Files Folder in Internet Explorer?
Please refer to Microsoft Support Article ID 260897
How do I delete cookie files in Internet Explorer?
Please refer to Microsoft Support Article ID 278835
How do I Prevent Hotmail/Windows Live From Filtering Notices Of Electronic Filing From Your E-Mail Account
1. Select Contacts from the Hotmail navigation bar.
2. Follow the Safe List link.
3. Type "nyed.uscourts.gov" in the Safe List entry field.
4. Click "Add".
5. The new entry should now appear on the Safe List
I am having problems with ECF NEFs and my Yahoo account.
1. Login to Yahoo Mail.
2. Click on "Mail Options" on the right hand side of your screen.
3. Click on "Filters" at the lower left hand side of screen.
4. Click the “Add” Button.
5. Assign a Filter Name - (e.g., NYED ECF)
6. Underneath the heading "if all of the following rules are true..." go to the top row labeled "FROM header." Next to this you will see a drop down menu. Make sure to select "contains", then simply type “nyed.uscourts.gov” into the box provided.
7. At the bottom, where it says "Move the message to:", select "Inbox" from the drop-down menu.
8. Click the "Add Filter" button at the bottom to add this filter.
Do I need to sign my ecf documents and then scan them?
If your document was created using a word processor software, then it should be printed to pdf. There is no need to print, sign and scan to pdf. Your ecf login and password is your signature.
How do I e-file on a Criminal case?
A video tutorial on how to file on a criminal case is located on the Pacer site at :
How do I go about requesting attorney admission information?
Please contact the court at (718) 613-2285 or (631) 712-6030
How do I know which EDNY courthouse has my case file?
There are two Eastern District Courthouse locations: Brooklyn and Central Islip. Case files are available at the courthouse where the Judge assigned to the case is located. Call Intake Section for name of Judge OR check the Docket Sheet on Pacer (to register for an account, go to website at http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov or call the Pacer Service Center at (800)676-6856 or (210)301-6440.)
Even if the Judge listed in Central Islip, there is a chance that the file is in Brooklyn. It is best to call the CI courthouse before traveling.