Frequently Asked Questions

Select a frequently asked question category on the left or search for a FAQ using the "Search this Site" box above.


  • The name/address on my summons is wrong. What do I need to do?

    Please Update your address on the Juror Response Form at the bottom of your summons, and mail the form back to the court as soon as possible.

  • What are the appropriate settings for my scanner when preparing a document for filing on CM/ECF?

    Scanned documents filed via CM/ECF must meet NARA Acceptable IMage Quality Specifications:

    Scanned images of textual records transferred to NARA must meet the following minimum requirements for scanning resolution and pixel (bit) depth to support archival preservation and continued use.

    Bitonal (1-bit) scanned at 300-600 ppi.
    This is appropriate for documents that consist exclusively of clean printed type possessing high inherent contrast (e.g., laser printed or typeset on a white background). Scanning at 600 ppi is recommended.
    Gray scale (8-bit) scanned at 300-400 ppi.
    This is appropriate for textual documents of poor legibility because of low inherent  contrast, staining or fading (e.g., carbon copies, thermofax, or documents with handwritten annotations or other markings), or that contain halftone illustrations or
    photographs. Scanning at 400 ppi is recommended.
    Color (24-bit RGB [Red, Green, Blue]) scanned at 300-400 ppi.
    Color mode (if technically available) is appropriate for text containing color information important to interpretation or content. Scanning at 400 ppi is recommended.

    If your document was created using a word processor, then it should be printed to pdf. Do not print, scan and pdf your document. Your ecf login and password is your signature. Please refer to page 4 of the ecf user guide for more information. 

  • What are the ecf contact telephone numbers?
    • CM/ECF Registration 
      718-613-2312 Brooklyn and 631-712-6036 Central Islip
    • CM/ECF Filing 
      718-613-2610 Brooklyn and 631-712-6010 Central Islip
    • CM/ECF Training 
      718-613-2312 Brooklyn and 631-712-6011 Central Islip
    • CM/ECF Technical Help Desk 
  • What are the operating hours for the court?

    The court is open 8:30AM to 5:00PM on Monday - Friday, except for Federal Holidays. Last admittance to the Clerk's Office is 4:45.

  • What are the steps for a transcript voucher?

    There is a two step process for a voucher for a transcript. First, create an Auth24 in eVoucher. This must be approved by the Judge. Second, after Judge approval, you must create a CJA24. When doing so, unclick the button for "Attorney Enter" and click the button for "Expert Enter." Then the voucher will go to the court reporter.

  • What do I do after the first day of jury service?

    After you have reported for jury service, you will be given detailed instructions as to what you should do. Federal Jury Duty is two-week telephone standby. Please do not come to the court unless you have been chosen for a case or the automated telephone instructions instruct you to do so.

  • What do I do if I get picked as a juror for a trial?

    Write down the instructions that the Judge gives you. Make note of the Judge's name, courtroom and time you are to report and name of the case. There will be a sign-in sheet on the table in the jury office each day that you are to report for the trial. Please sign-in - EVERYDAY - -so that you will be given credit and paid for reporting that day.

  • What do I do if I served as a juror in another courthouse?

    If you served any time within the past two (2) years, you must contact (or go to) that courthouse where you previously served and get proof that you served.

  • What do I need to appeal my case?

    You need: Original Notice of Appeal 2 copies. The Fee is $505.00 (which includes docketing the appeal). You may pay by check,money order, or credit card, if the credit card is registered with the Clerk's Office Mail copy of Notice of Appeal to all parties.

    Contact Appeals Section at (718) 260-2310 in Brooklyn and (631) 712-6000 in Central Islip, for more Appeals information

  • What do I need to reveal before I am selected as a juror for a case?

    Do not wait until you are selected on a trial to reveal that you are:

    -a full time student
    -an ill person with medical problems
    -have plane tickets scheduled within a week''s time -have a recent criminal record
    -do not speak enough English to understand what is being said in court
    -you are a full-time mother with no means of child support after the first day of service

  • What does it mean to appear pro se?

    "Pro se"- Latin for self or "in one’s own behalf." Although the majority of individuals, also known as "litigants" or "parties", appearing before this court, are represented by attorneys, a small percentage appears pro se. Litigants or parties representing themselves in court without the assistance of an attorney are known as pro se litigants. 


  • What does this error message mean? ERROR: Document contains code which may cause an external action (such as launching an application). This PDF document cannot be accepted.

    If your PDF contains any password security, it will not be accepted. All PDF documents which include embedded JavaScript that use the OpenAction syntax will be rejected. Some petition preparation software contains JavaScript to perform calculations which uses OpenAction syntax. If your PDF is rejected, please contact your PDF software vendor or petition preparation vendor and speak with them regarding the use of JavaScript OpenAction syntax. OpenAction JavaScript commands can be used to track those who view a PDF and to install malware and viruses.

  • What does this error message mean? ERROR: Document is not a well-formed PDF document (no further information is available).

    This usually means that there is a typo in the pathname of the pdf. Use the Browse button rather than manually entering the location of the pdf.

  • What event do I use for a Letter Motion?

    Select the appropriate motion event, then prompted, then on the docket text screen select the pre-text (Letter) from the pull down list.

  • What events are used for service?
    Summons Returned Executed/Summons Returned Executed as to USA
    Docket this event for returns on executed summons. If the summons indicates that the summons/complaint was served by mail, docket this event. If a process server’s affidavit states that they served the summons/complaint, docket this event.
    Summons Returned Unexecuted
    Docket this event for summons that are returned unexecuted.
    Waiver of Service Executed
    Docket this event when the waiver of service of summons is received. If the Waiver does not indicate the date it was mailed, enter the date it was 1) signed or, 2) filed.
    Waiver of Service Unexecuted
    Docket this event for waivers that are returned unexecuted.
    Writ Returned
    Docket this event for returns on writs, executed or unexecuted. It will prompt you for what type of writ the return is being made on.
    Acknowledgment of Service
    Docket this event when a party acknowledges their receipt of service of documents. This event should also be used to docket a supplemental return attaching the green certified receipt form. This event will allow you to link to entries on the docket.
    Affidavit of Service/Certificate of Service
    Docket these events for returns that are not on a summons, warrant, writ or signed waiver, or for something we do not have an event for. For example, a return of service on an order to show cause or on a waiver (but no signed waiver is attached). Affidavit of Service should be used
    when the person who made service is swearing under oath as to the accuracy of the information in the return. Certificate of Service will allow you to link to entries on the docket.
    Service by Publication
    Docket this event when a return is filed showing service by publication and attach a copy of the legal notice newspaper clipping to this return.