Frequently Asked Questions
Select a frequently asked question category on the left or search for a FAQ using the "Search this Site" box above.
How far back does the PACER database go with records for the US District Court - EDNY?
For Civil Cases: All cases filed or reopened on or after January 1, 1990, and all PENDING cases filed prior to that date.
For Criminal and Magistrate Cases: All cases filed or reopened on or after July 15, 1991, and all PENDING cases filed or reopened prior to that date.
What does this error message mean? ERROR: Document is not a well-formed PDF document (no further information is available).
This usually means that there is a typo in the pathname of the pdf. Use the Browse button rather than manually entering the location of the pdf.
What is the file size limit for pdfs?
20mb per pdf.
Where can I find a list of events for ecf filing?
What are the ecf contact telephone numbers?
718-613-2312 Brooklyn and 631-712-6036 Central Islip
718-613-2610 Brooklyn and 631-712-6010 Central Islip
718-613-2312 Brooklyn and 631-712-6011 Central Islip
CM/ECF Technical Help Desk
- CM/ECF Registration
What login id do I use when I click on the document link in my ecf notification of electronic filing?
If you received the login page as a result of a link from a Notice of Electronic Filing email:
Enter your CM/ECF filer login and password. The system prompts customers for a CM/ECF login and password when attempting to view certain types of documents.
If you have trouble viewing a document:
After successful entry of your CM/ECF login, you should be able to view the document. If you receive the message "You do not have permission to view this document," viewing the document is restricted to attorneys of record in the case and the system does not recognize you as such. If the login prompt appears again, after you have entered your CM/ECF login and password, it means that the "free look" link has expired. You will need to enter your PACER login and password to view the document.
I received an email notification that does not provide a hyperlink to the document number. Is this an error?
No. If there is no pdf for the order. This is sometimes called an "electronic order" or "endorsed order". The entry (docket text) is the order.
How do I register for an ECF account?
Click here for the online ecf login and password registration form.
If I have an ECF filing account in another District, will it work in the EDNY?
No, you must register in each ecf court.
Are there any special settings for file sizes in Adobe 6.0?
Yes, please read the below recommendations.
PREPARING THE DOCUMENT:
- Reminder: do not use the PDF Creator that is a part of the Corel Suite.
- Set Adobe PDF Writer as the default printer BEFORE opening the document.
- Before printing, perform a "File --> Save As" and save the document as a normal document. This cleans the document and gets rid of any embedded code that might be lingering due to editing, but that is not visible in the actual document.
- Minimize the number of different fonts used in the document. We suggest you set the default font to Courier (NOT Courier New or Times New Roman or any other TrueType font). So far, tests have shown that using True Type fonts drastically increases the size of the document. Set the default font by going to "File --> Document --> Default Font."
- The CM/ECF Project Team recommends a 200x200 dpi resolution. A higher resolution appears to dramatically increase the file size. Because Adobe Acrobat is often used for publishing, some of the standard settings have a 1200x1200 resolution.
- When you print the document, click on the "Details" tab in the "Print" window, change the "Resolution" to "200x200," then un-check the following check boxes (if they were checked when you entered the window): "Print in color" and "Print text only." Note: this hint does not apply to WordPerfect 10 users who do not have the "Details" tab.