Frequently Asked Questions

Select a frequently asked question category on the left or search for a FAQ using the "Search this Site" box above.


  • Is ECF filing mandatory?

    Yes, as of August 2, 2004, electronic case filing is mandatory for all civil cases other than pro se cases and for all criminal cases.

  • What if I am not able to comply with the Judges ECF mandate for my case?

    As of August 2, 2004, electronic case filing is mandatory for all civil cases and all criminal cases.

  • How do I get training on using ECF?

    To Schedule Training in Brooklyn - contact (718) 613-2610 To Schedule Training in Central Islip - contact (631) 712-6011 Training is free. The class is two hours, hands-on, and cle approved.

  • Can my secretary/paralegal use my ECF Login and Password?

    Yes - however, as the registered Attorney - your name will appear as the signator of the electronically filed document, and all certification responsibilities remain with you, the attorney of record.

  • Who do I contact if I lost my ECF password or think it has been compromised?

    If you have lost your CM/ECF password or the password you recall does not work, you can request a new password by clicking here or change your password by logging into ECF with your ecf account, click on Utilities and select "Maintain Your Password".

  • How do I register for a PACER Account?

    Go to -- Click on Registration Icon. Call Pacer Service Center at (800)676-6856 or (210)301-6440 for more information. Beginning in January 2004,instant and free registration is available online.

  • What is the difference between using ECF and Pacer and why are there different passwords for each?

    ECF is for FILING documents electronically via the internet.The login and password needed for ECF is assigned by the Court. Each Attorney needs a separate account as it is their electronic signature.
    PACER is for viewing filed documents and Docket Sheets.

  • If I receive a jury summons and have already served, what do I do?

    If you have served within the past two years, send the court that has summonsed you a copy of the proof of service or certificate of attendance you received from the court you served at. However, if you were only a telephone standby juror, and never had to physically appear for jury service, you may still be eligible to serve at the court who is summoning you to appear now.

  • How do I get reimbursed for tolls on the way to court for jury service if I use EZ-Pass?

    When you receive your monthly bill, itemize the days in which you served at the court and mail it in. Make sure you include your name, address, and summons date on the receipt.

  • What do I need to reveal before I am selected as a juror for a case?

    Do not wait until you are selected on a trial to reveal that you are:

    -a full time student
    -an ill person with medical problems
    -have plane tickets scheduled within a week''s time -have a recent criminal record
    -do not speak enough English to understand what is being said in court
    -you are a full-time mother with no means of child support after the first day of service