Frequently Asked Questions

Select a frequently asked question category on the left or search for a FAQ using the "Search this Site" box above.


  • How long will it take to get my jury service check?

    Your check should be mailed to you in less than 8 weeks.

  • How long will it take to get a certificate of attendance?

    Proof of service showing each day you reported will be mailed immediately at the end of your term of service.

  • The name/address on my summons is wrong. What do I need to do?

    Please Update your address on the Juror Response Form at the bottom of your summons, and mail the form back to the court as soon as possible.

  • How will you know I live in a two-fare zone?

    Payment is computed automatically by your zip code.

  • Do I submit my LIRR receipts?

    No, public transportation is computed automatically. Only parking, bridge EZPass and/or toll receipts are needed. Please print your name, address and summons date on the back of all receipts that you submit.

  • What do I do if I served as a juror in another courthouse?

    If you served any time within the past two (2) years, you must contact (or go to) that courthouse where you previously served and get proof that you served.

  • Can I still be a juror if I am not a citizen, or I am a non-resident,or an attorney?

    Proof must be provided in writing before the summons date. All proof should be accompanied with a copy of the summons and sent to the address on the face of the summons.

  • Can I postpone my Jury Duty via email?

    All requests for postponements or excusals must be made IN WRITING no less than 10 DAYS prior to the summons date. Please use the postage-paid envelope provided with your summons and include a copy of your summons along with the request.

  • What happens after the arbitration hearing?

    After the hearing is held, the arbitrator files an arbitration award. This award is confidential and does not go in the court file.  Counsel will receive a copy of the award after it is filed with the court.  If any party disagrees with the arbitrators decision, then that party may file a Demand for Trial De Novo.  A filing fee of  $250.00 is required.  A trial de novo must be filed within (30) thirty days after the entry of the arbitration award.  If a demand for trial de novo is filed, the case will then be placed back on the trial calendar.  If no trial de novo is filed, the arbitration award becomes the final judgment of this court, without the right to appeal.

  • Where is the arbitration hearing held?

     Normally, the arbitration hearing is held in a conference room at the courthouse. The room is assigned by the arbitration clerk prior to the hearing.  At request and consent of all parties, including the arbitrator,  the hearing may be held at a more convenient location.  This must be confirmed by the arbitration clerk.  Any changes in location or schedules, continuances, or adjournments must be made promptly to the arbitration department.  If the arbitration hearing takes place at a location other than the courthouse, the parties must notify the arbitration clerk that the hearing went forward and the outcome of the same. If the parties have agreed upon a settlement, the arbitration clerk must be notified immediately.