Frequently Asked Questions
Select a frequently asked question category on the left or search for a FAQ using the "Search this Site" box above.
6. What is the fee for pro hac vice admission?
7. I am an Assistant U.S. Attorney; must I apply for admission?
No. You do not have to apply for admission, but if you leave the DOJ and enter private practice, you must apply for regular or pro hac vice admission.
8. I am an attorney for a federal agency other than the DOJ; must I apply for pro hac vice admission?
Yes, but your fee is waived and your Certificate of Good Standing may be issued within one year of filing.
9. How do I request attorney admission information; who do I contact to request a name change on my CM/ECF account and/or admission record?
Please contact the court at 718-613-2285 (Brooklyn) or 631-712-6030 (Central Islip).
A party we represent was dismissed, but we are still receiving notifications, how can we stop the notifications?
Please file a Notice on the case requesting that the attorney be terminated from the case. Once terminated, notifications will stop.
Are stipulations emailed to NYED, as they are in NYSD?
No, filings for NYED cases are made via CM/ECF. The clerks office does not accept emailed filings.
Are there any special settings for file sizes in Adobe 6.0?
Yes, please read the below recommendations.
PREPARING THE DOCUMENT:
- Reminder: do not use the PDF Creator that is a part of the Corel Suite.
- Set Adobe PDF Writer as the default printer BEFORE opening the document.
- Before printing, perform a "File --> Save As" and save the document as a normal document. This cleans the document and gets rid of any embedded code that might be lingering due to editing, but that is not visible in the actual document.
- Minimize the number of different fonts used in the document. We suggest you set the default font to Courier (NOT Courier New or Times New Roman or any other TrueType font). So far, tests have shown that using True Type fonts drastically increases the size of the document. Set the default font by going to "File --> Document --> Default Font."
- The CM/ECF Project Team recommends a 200x200 dpi resolution. A higher resolution appears to dramatically increase the file size. Because Adobe Acrobat is often used for publishing, some of the standard settings have a 1200x1200 resolution.
- When you print the document, click on the "Details" tab in the "Print" window, change the "Resolution" to "200x200," then un-check the following check boxes (if they were checked when you entered the window): "Print in color" and "Print text only." Note: this hint does not apply to WordPerfect 10 users who do not have the "Details" tab.
Are there special setting for IE 11 to use with CM/ECF?
Though IE version 11 is not supported by CM/ECF, you can try this setting.
Under Tools - select "compatability view settings" - under "add this website", type in uscourts.gov and add it to the list of websites.
Can an attorney who is appearing pro se use their attorney cm/ecf account to file?
No. If you appearing pro se and wish to file on the case, you would need to file a Motion for Leave to Allow Pro Se to Electronically File. If granted, you will be issued a pro se filing account.
Can I file my new case by email, by fax or electronically via cm/ecf?
No, Pro se litigants may not file a new case by email, by fax or electronically via cm/ecf.
Can I file my papers electronically?
Pro se litigants may not file electronically without the judge’s prior approval. If you would like to electronically file your papers, you must make a written application to the judge and include information regarding your ability to use a computer and what computer access you have.
Can I postpone my jury duty or get excused via e-mail?
We do not accept postponements or excusals via email. Please contact the Jury Office at (800) 587-6775 for further information.
Can I postpone my Jury Duty via email?
All requests for postponements or excusals must be made IN WRITING no less than 10 DAYS prior to the summons date. Please use the postage-paid envelope provided with your summons and include a copy of your summons along with the request.
Can I still be a juror if I am not a citizen, or I am a non-resident,or an attorney?
Proof must be provided in writing before the summons date. All proof should be accompanied with a copy of the summons and sent to the address on the face of the summons.
Can I use Chrome or Opera for ecf or pacer?
Chrome and Opera does not work with ecf or pacer. Please use the recommended browsers.
Internet Explorer 8 and 9.x